CALL US 818.744.4955
Contact Us For Free Case Evaluation

Modification of child support upon birth of another child

Q:  I am paying child support for the child from my first marriage. Now I have another child with a different woman. Would this fact be figured into support?

(Brad, Los Angeles, California)

A:  Yes, the fact that you are also supporting another child should be taken into consideration when determining the amount of child support. However, if your order is already in place, you will probably need to file a motion for modification of child support and request that the court modify the current amount of support based on changed circumstances.

Be careful requesting modification of support because if your income has increased over the years (or the other parent’s decreased), then it’s possible that the new amount of child support will be higher than what you currently have, notwithstanding the fact of you supporting more than one child.

Created by